Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Week 36

Well, seeing that I never seem to be able to keep track of dates etc, I'm stealing formatting from Mr Burden and doing this week by week, but this one's going to be a bit longer because I have a couple of weeks to catch up on.

A couple of quiet weeks at work, but it's looking like the job may turn permanent in January, which will suit me very nicely... gives me time to look for something else while still earning money, which is a very very big part of life in London. Because here money does make the world go round.

But on to the fun stuff ;-)

Sadly Jak Koseff decided to leave our little adopted island for a much bigger one... he's now finishing his studies at Columbia university in New York. Lucky bugger. So for his farewell instead of the yakka party he was planning (stellies will know what i mean) he opted rather for the more civilised cocktail party, where everyone brought their own favourite bottle of poison and we went from there. The evening started out with Catherine mixing multiple jugs of Mojitos which were consumed very quickly, and then as the party progressed it turned into a case of mix what was left and hope it didn't kill you. Having spent as much time as i did at D&D in stellebosch I ended up mixing some very potent cocktails which left their consumers a little less stable than they were.... but then again, you have to taste constantly to ensure they are okay to serve.... which in turn led to Cath and myself being the founding members of the national lawn rolling championships, although there were no other competitors we figured that the world couldn't really spin much more than it already was... or could it. A very kind Tal Gilbert pointed me in the direction of the bar (for the purposes of drowning the booze with water) and then Kev lent a hand in getting me home in one piece.... the hangover the next morning wasn't half as bad as i thought it was, which leads me to believe that if you have enough sugar with your drinks it seems to absorb the alcohol while you sleep... ( must remember that for the future)

A while ago Kev, O'Connor and myself headed off to Alexandra Palace to watch the Pixies... imagine lots of people jumping up and down. The concert hall itself is a exhibition center which is huge and must have had a crowd of 10 to 15 thousand people. It was an amazing concert, where Kevin and Tim wanted pics of the crowd, so I got lifted up like in a line out, it was like standing on someones shoulders above the crowd. But when a beer can came whizzing past my head I figured it was about time to get down (grumpy brits). Since the concert was in a exhibition center we were quite a long way from the stage but at the same time quite near to the bar, where O'Connor made a brave attempt at drowning myself and Kev with beer and smirnoff ice... unfortunately, Smirnoff Ice tasted terrible when it's warm so that idea was abandoned very quickly. So all in all the concert was loud and bright with lots of people.... in short it was fantastic
Luckily we managed to catch the last train back otherwise it would have been a very very long walk or and exceptionally expensive cab ride. I really think I need to earn enough that I can take a cab home after a late night out, but at the moment paying somewhere in the region of R300 to R550 for a cab home is a bit hard to swallow even when you're paying in pounds.

After Tim left we inherited another flat mate for a couple of weeks, Grant Penrose who's a mate of Kev's from school arrived on the Saturday of the last Aussie vs Kiwi test. So I guess we didn't mind missing it too much. We took a walk around central with Grant and stopped for lunch at a strange little pub called the Lantern.. or something like that. My lunch was fine but the guys burgers could have been used as bowling balls they were so hard... So after that we were running pretty late to pick up a TV from Tubs (tim schultz) and catching a cab home to meet up with some of Grant's friends at the Woodman (our local)... it was a good evening with much fine whisky being consumed.
And hence the Sunday was made up of doing nothing... less than that if possible ;-)

The following couple of weeks have been very uneventful due to very hectic days at the office and also a case of my bank telling me that all the social events in the past have put a serious dent in my bank balance... but it's nearly pay day, and then the whole cycle will start again.
But I'm saving now, because I have some serious shopping to do when I come home.... a £55 for a pair of cheap jeans over here imagine what i could get for that back home... I'm starting to like this idea of going on holiday with pounds, sounding very appealing.

And since i'm learning to speak spanish

Adiós y buen día a usted todo

Which translated means Good Bye and good day to you all

No comments: