Monday, June 19, 2006

Friday night and Foo Fighters

Once again KEV GOT HIS VISA... which makes all of us over here most happy.... what would london be like without his morning hangover grumble :-)

So conspiring ran riot between myself, Brad, Grant, Lauren, Eric..... and the list keeps going. Tonight we were going to get him sozzeled....

Jacques and Maresa joined us at the Village for a couple of celebratory drinks..... Eric and Grant concoted a special "straf dop" which after a while seemed to be doing it's job.... you always know it's working when the drinker decides that it actually tastes nice.... even though there are some 6 different shots in it.

So things went pear shaped, sideways and all to thistle....

Saturday morning rolls in along with one exceptionally hungover Mr Burden and followed closely by the rest of us. Who were mostly woken rudely by the sounds of a vacuum cleaner. We subsequently had a munch and meandered down to the bar where Grant and Lauren were having breakfast... okay, it was 12ish, make that brunch. We made our way in the sharp sun to the bus stop and attempted to wait out the heat... in the end Grant hailed a cab and we were all grateful for the aircon.... (seperate note... I must be acclimatising to this place... 24 degrees now seems pretty hot) We arrived at Victoria to visit the whole in the wall and found out that most of london was in the station. On coming out there were a couple of planes doing a fly by... some "THundercats"?????? guys help me out here.... or tomcats, or something sounding similar. We made our way to Hyde Park to enjoy a day in the sun with too much beer and good music.
The cordoned off area for the concert was huge. It must have easily taken up half the park. We stood in line and were luckily right at the front of the queue. We went in, got our cold beers and waters respectively and found a spot to sit. Right in front with a huge screen just off to our right. As Grant put it most aptly... everyone was sitting there getting merrily plastered. But since warm beer tastes terrible we were intermixing it with good old H2O.

The first band out was at about 4ish, (we'd been there since 1ish) and it was Juliette lewis and the licks.... I actually think I prefer seeing her on TV.. she's just annoying live and her newest songs are just a bit too strange. Next up was a new band called Angels and Airwaves... who's lead singer was the lead for Blink 182, who were followed by Queens of the Stone Age, who were AMAZING and then Motorhead.... after a bit of a break and waking around to stretch legs I managed to get myself caught at the edge of a mosh pit heading my way at speed... HELP!!!
I was also thinking... looking at all the different types of people you get at these concerts it must be really hot being a goth... and I mean temperature wise... You're standing in the sun for about 6 hours, wearing black jeans and about 3 layers of tops with your hair draped across your face... I wouldn't be able to do it... we were dying of the heat in bikini tops and shorts.

Tasteless joke for the day... The Institute for Science is trying to splice the genes of a goth with Grass. They want to find a culutivar of grass that will cut itself.... ba doom doom che.. I'll be here all day

OH.... THERE ARE HOW MANY PEOPLE HERE TODAY???????? 85 000!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a lot of people, it somehow seemed like more. Maybe that's how many were in the cheap seats

Anyway, back to the concert... The Foo Fighters came on stage and the crowd went absolutely wild which meant that any space you had around you was now filled with drunken pimply brits (no I don't like most of them much) But apart from getting bounced and pushed around the music was great. For their encore they brought out Roger Taylor and Brian May to play with them as they did a Freddy Mercury tribute.... for the uninitiated... the above mentioned were in Queen ( the band).

So a great end to a fantastic day. Perhaps next time I go to see a concert I'll wait till they play in a venue ... a small venue.

Sunday comprised of doing nothing and watching old episodes of Star Trek... somehow I don't remember it being so bad... the acting is terrible and the special effects are non existent... I've heard there is a digitally remastered one... maybe that'll be better.
Monday morning it's off to a 6am gym session with Kev and Brad, so we'll see how that goes... i'm not a morning person.

No comments: