Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The cobbled paving on memory lane

Ever had that feeling where you have one of those fantastic day dreams that takes you back over the good times of the past?
I've finished my last book that I was reading so I haven't had anything to read on the morning commute into the office which takes about half an hour so my mind has been drifting back in time to old times. Please note that this is just my mind rambling and is not intended to be informative or interesting to anyone else.... but hey, it's my blog and I'll blog what i want to :-)


Here are a few of the memories that have been swirling around in my head lately.

1. Arriving in Stellies for the first time, not knowing anyone and taking a drive around campus at night and getting horribly lost... for those of you who know stellies knows that getting lost there isn't easy. Seeing my res for the first time and looking around and being surrounded by mountains which were covered with bright green trees and the smell of rain in the air. Moving into res and the first morning trying to find my way to classes with only the building abbreviations, if you don't know where the BJ is it's pretty hard to find... since it doesn't actually say BJ anywhere on the building. Sitting through my first philosophy lecture in afrikaans and trying hard to follow. Then going to Inligtingsvardighede (insert 3 numbers here) and even being a month late for the start of term having my first lesson be how to change the font size of a document and then saving it...... needless to say... apart from tests that's the last I saw of that class.

2. Meeting some interesting people in my first couple of weeks and enjoying the vibe around karnaval.... somehow I don't remember vensters much, there may have been mitigating factors with that...

3. Meeting Retha and Sam and going to Cape Town for the first time in nearly 10 years... perfect autumn days and sitting on Clifton 4 with a bottle of wine and candles watching the sunset and the ocean lazily wash onto the beach... everything seemed so chilled and laid back there. And after that discovering La Med for the first time and their amazing pizzas and cocktails.

4 The breakfast run.... unbeknownst to me at that stage if you're walking back to res and the sun is already up it's customary to run from tree to tree and avoid being seen.... and then getting told off by my HK, who has actually only walked into res about 5 minutes before me.

5. Huis dans was always a great time, finding a date, the hair, the dress, ah the joys of being female. But for the life of me I can't remember the venue of my first one.. probably still have the invite at home somewhere.

6. Going to my first debate... :-)
I thought most of the people there were weird... not that I'm far wrong on that actually, but I found them incredibly interesting so I ended up staying. Admittedly for the first while I did my utmost to avoid the more outspoken members of the society... hey, some of you were pretty scary to a at that stage (don't laugh now) shy free state girl.

So a year went past and getting settled was easier than I thought it would be... meeting some of the amazing people I know now and discovering a whole new world that I never knew existed.

I guess I've got a lot more things going through my head than I thought I did... so let's call this a work in process

No comments: